Russian Vegetable Paste from Zucchini or Zucchini Caviar
This magic spread with amazing flavour on a piece of your favourite bread – what can be better? On top of that, zucchini has huge benefits for your body. It has therapeutic compounds such as lutein, β-carotene, zeaxanthin and dehydroascorbic acid and full of antioxidant/anti-radical, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antimicrobial and analgesic activities (1).
Zucchini is linked to improved cardiovascular health and the ability to lower cholesterol levels and improves insulin resistance (2).
• 3 zucchini/courgette
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ chilli pepper or ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• 3 carrots
• 2 onions
• 1 cup crushed tomatoes or 1 tsp tomato paste
• ½ tsp salt (I don’t add salt at all)
• 6 tablespoons olive oil ( I also add about 20 ml water to keep the oil temperature not more than 100 °C)
• dill and parsley freshly ground black pepper to your taste
1. Cut zucchinis and onions into cubes, grate carrots. Chop greens finely.
Combine zucchinis, onions and carrots in a big heavy pot with oil and water. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, garlic and all seasoning. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the mixture into the strainer to drain out the excess liquid.
4. Let it cool down slightly and put the mixture into the blender.
5. Puree it and serve this creamy zucchini paste with your favourite bread.